Friday, June 09, 2006

On the Road

Okay, we’ve had four days of 75 units of Follistim, followed by bloodwork. Then, a call from the Center: increase from 75 to 100 units for two nights, then come in for bloodwork and an ultrasound. Did that this morning. Ultrasound tech Wednesday and today was the same woman, and she’s awesome! Answers questions, turns the screen to show you everything.

Wednesday and today, they had students on externships drawing blood. Wednesday, they asked if I would be okay with a student drawing. I said “no problem, okay with me”. A female student from one of the local colleges drew on me, and was pretty good, but then again, I’ve always been told I’m an easy stick. This morning, no asking for permission, they just assigned a guy to me who looked like the last place he wanted to do his externship was in a fertility center. He did okay, but I had to remind him to take the rubber tourniquet-thingy off after he withdrew the needle and applied the gauze/tape combo.

Now I’m waiting for another follow-up call to tell me what to do next. I am very proud of myself as DH won’t go near the needles, so I’ve been handling the injections. Did the first one in the thigh, which was okay but not great. The rest I’ve done in my stomach, being a big brave girl each time I have to watch that needle go in. Did mention to DH that, if he can't take the needles, he'd better drop some weight (as his MD had mentioned) before his blood sugar rises anymore and he becomes a full-fledged insulin-dependent diabetic...


I just want to send out big hugs to Zarqa and Thalia; I thought of both of you this a.m. There was a couple there this morning who were coming out of an exam room as I was going in for the u/s. They had been in the waiting room when I got there. She was clutching a crumpled ball of tissue, and he was walking behind her with his head hung down. My heart goes out to them, and to Thalia, and to Zarqa, and all of us who’ve lost someone before we could even say “hello”.

1 comment:

Thalia said...

Phew, what a week you've had. I would not be letting any students anywhere near my veins. Let's hope that it's good news when they call. And thank you for the kind thoughts.